How to Coffee Yourself Right
The Epic Guide to Brewing Legendary Coffee: Conquer the Perfect Cup with Legendary Aviation Coffee
Welcome, fellow coffee enthusiasts, to the most electrifying and sky-high guide on the planet – the one and only Legendary Aviation Coffee’s ultimate journey into the art of brewing the perfect cup of coffee. Get ready for a caffeinated adventure that will make your taste buds do acrobatic loops of joy. We’re here to bring you a coffee experience so legendary, it’ll have you soaring to new heights of flavor. So fasten your seatbelts, grab your favorite mug, and let’s dive into the world of extraordinary coffee!
Section 1: Grind-to-Water Ratio, Grind Size, and Brewing Methods:
1.0 - Grind-to-Water Ratio:
When it comes to brewing legendary coffee, we follow the guidelines set by the Specialty Coffee Association (SCA). Their golden ratio is 1:18, which means using 1 part coffee to 18 parts water. This ratio ensures optimal extraction and flavor, like a well-calibrated instrument in the hands of a skilled pilot. Adjust it to match your coffee desires (down to 1:14 for stronger coffee or up to 1:21 for weaker coffee) and prepare for a taste experience that’ll have you doing a victory roll of flavor!
2.0 - Grind Size:
• The key to unlocking the perfect extraction lies in the grind size. Like adjusting the throttle on an aircraft, finding the right grind size for each brewing method is crucial to achieving the desired flavor profile. Remember, coarser grinds allow water to flow more freely, resulting in a lighter-bodied cup, while finer grinds slow down the extraction for a more intense and robust flavor. Just like a fine turnable throttle, versus a push pull only, grinders make a HUGE difference in how your grind consistency and extraction comes out. A blade grinder is much less consistent than a conical grinder, and a conical grinder is less consistent than a flat burr grinder. We highly recommend at minimum a Baratza Encore conical
3. Brewing Methods and Aviation Connection:
3.1 - Auto-Drip (Most Common in the US):
Prepare for takeoff with the trusty auto-drip brewing method. It’s like having your own co-pilot, ensuring a smooth and balanced cup that glides across your taste buds. With its consistent and clean flavor profile, this method will have your taste buds reaching for the clouds. No turbulence here, just a coffee experience that’ll have you shouting, “Clear for deliciousness!” Remember, always check your brews before you fly! You wouldn’t want any mid-air coffee spills, would you? Keep it smooth and steady like a well-trained pilot.
• Grind Size: Medium (resembling granulated sugar)
We recommend a 1:16 ratio here that looks like:
• Water-to-grind ratio example (grams): Use approximately 60 grams of coffee for every 1000 grams of water. That’s enough to keep even the most daring aviators caffeinated from sunrise to sunset!
• Water-to-grind ratio example (ounces): Use approximately 2.1 ounces of coffee for every 35.2 ounces of water. Perfect for fueling your coffee adventures throughout the day!
• Example of everyday use - a standard pot of coffee is 40oz of water and we recommend 70-75g of ground coffee, which is 4 somewhat level scoops, but not heaping scoops, with a coffee scooper.
3.2 - Aeropress:
Ready to soar through the stratosphere of flavor? The Aeropress method lets you be the maverick of coffee experimentation. Adjust grind sizes and techniques to unleash a full-bodied cup that’ll make your taste buds scream, “I feel the need, the need for coffee!” Get ready to perform coffee barrel rolls and experience flavors that will send your senses into a tailspin. It’s like having your taste buds take a thrilling flight through a world of coffee excitement!
• Grind Size: Fine to Medium (similar to table salt)
• Water-to-grind ratio example (grams): Use approximately 15 grams of coffee for every 240 grams of water. That’s the secret recipe for reaching coffee heights that’ll make even the boldest aviators jealous!
- Water-to-grind ratio example (ounces): Use approximately 0.5 ounces of coffee for every 8.5 ounces of water. The perfect ratio to kick-start your coffee adventures and make your taste buds fly high!
3.3 - American Press (aka "Siphon" or "Vacuum"):
Get ready for a brewing method as sleek and elegant as a fighter jet soaring through the sky. The American Press is like a visual symphony, creating a clean and smooth cup that'll make you appreciate the subtle flavor notes like an aviation connoisseur marveling at the details of a well-crafted aircraft. With its precise balance of flavors, this method will have you floating on clouds of coffee ecstasy. It's time to elevate your coffee game to new heights!
- Grind Size: Medium-Coarse (similar to coarse sand)
- Water-to-grind ratio example (grams): Use approximately 60 grams of coffee for every 1000 grams of water. The perfect formula to unlock flavors that'll have you soaring through coffee nirvana!
- Water-to-grind ratio example (ounces): Use approximately 2.1 ounces of coffee for every 35.2 ounces of water. Let your taste buds experience the richness and smoothness of a cup that's worthy of an aviation legend!
3.4 - French Press:
Prepare for a brewing method that's as bold and robust as a vintage propeller plane roaring through the sky. The French Press is like an adventure-packed flight, delivering a full-bodied and flavorful cup that'll have your taste buds doing loop-de-loops. Get ready to savor every sip as the rich aromas fill the air, taking you on a coffee journey that'll make you feel like a true coffee daredevil.
- Grind Size: Coarse (resembling coarse sea salt)
- Water-to-grind ratio example (grams): Use approximately 60 grams of coffee for every 1000 grams of water. That's the recipe for a cup of coffee that packs a punch, just like the roar of a vintage aircraft!
- Water-to-grind ratio example (ounces): Use approximately 2.1 ounces of coffee for every 35.2 ounces of water. Buckle up and prepare for a flavor experience that'll leave you breathless!
3.5 - Pour-Over:
Embrace the precision and finesse of a skilled aviator with the pour-over brewing method. It's like navigating your way through a complex flight plan, where every detail matters. With its clean and vibrant flavor profile, pour-over brewing elevates the subtle nuances of coffee, allowing your taste buds to soar through a symphony of flavors. Get ready to experience coffee like never before!
- Grind Size: Medium-Fine (similar to table salt)
-Our recommendation is 20 grams to 300 grams of water using the Tetsu Kasuya 4:6 method or the “Ultimate V60 Technique” by James Hoffman.
- Water-to-grind ratio example (grams): Use approximately 15 grams of coffee for every 240 grams of water. That's the perfect ratio to unlock a harmonious blend of flavors that'll have you floating on cloud nine!
- Water-to-grind ratio example (ounces): Use approximately 0.5 ounces of coffee for every 8.5 ounces of water. Let your taste buds take flight and explore the delightful world of pour-over coffee.
3.6 - Percolating:
Prepare to embark on a coffee journey reminiscent of the pioneers of aviation. The percolating method is like a time machine, taking you back to the early days of exploration. With its strong and bold character, this method delivers a cup of coffee that's as robust as a roaring engine. Brace yourself for a caffeine adventure that'll make you feel like a coffee pioneer charting new territories.
- Grind Size: Coarse (resembling coarse sea salt)